Breckenridge, Colorado, is located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains and is filled with history and energy. The town is vibrant and rich with shops, restaurants, arts and culture, and of course there is our world-renowned ski resort in the backyard. Here are some facts and stats about Breckenridge:
Location & transportation – Breckenridge sits two hours west of Denver International Airport (DEN) and 2.5 hours northwest of the Colorado Springs Airport (COS). From Denver, visitors drive 98 miles (159 km) west via I-70, then take exit 203 (Highway 9) south nine miles to Breckenridge. From Colorado Springs, visitors drive 110 miles (178 km) west through South Park and over Hoosier Pass, or via I-25 to C-470 to I-70. Regularly scheduled shuttles, limousines and car rentals are available.
Around town transportation – Free public transport is available in Breckenridge via the Breckenridge Free Ride and around Summit County via the Summit Stage.
Breckenridge Ski Resort – Breckenridge Ski Resort spans five peaks with 34 lifts including the highest chairlift in North America.
Fast Facts and Stats About Breckenridge:
- 2: Nordic Centers
- 100+: Restaurants and bars
- 200+: Shops and boutiques
- 300 days: Yearly average sunshine
- 353 inches: Yearly average snowfall
- 1859: Year Breckenridge founded
- 4,631: Permanent population
- 12,840 feet: Summit of Imperial Express, highest chairlift in North America
What is the Elevation of Breckenridge?
- Base: 9,603 feet / 2,927 meters
- Summit: 12,998 feet / 3,962 meters
How far is Breckenridge from Denver?
Breckenridge is about an hour and a half (80 mi/128 km) from the city of Denver, and about 2 hours (104 mi/167 km) from Denver International Airport (DIA). The easiest way to get to the mountains is by mountain shuttle.
- Summer Day: 70 degrees F (21 degrees C)
- Summer Night: 50 degrees F (10 degrees C)
- Days of Sunshine – 300
- Winter Day: 28 degrees F (-2 degrees C)
- Winter Night: 15 degrees (-9 degrees C)
- Inches of Snow – 353
- Humidity – 30 percent
- Breckenridge Year-Round – 4,763
- Summit County Year-Round – 28,637
Breckenridge Town Size
- 3,702 acres / 5.5 square miles
- 3,900 acres of open space property
- 41 acres of community parks
- 7 miles long / 2 miles wide
- 23.7% town-owned land. This includes: active parks, open space, golf course, historical sites, parking lots, municipal buildings and the cemetery
- 55 acres of town-owned parks
- 560 acres of in-town open space
For additional information on town statistics, head over to the Town of Breckenridge website.